Tips to reduce peak demand
Reduce peak demand during on-peak hours:
All other hours, weekends and six holidays including New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day are off-peak.
- Spread out using major appliances across separate 30-minute periods during higher-cost on-peak demand hours (for example, between 2 to 2:30 p.m., 2:30 to 3 p.m. etc.). Major electrical appliances that may contribute to high demand costs include the air conditioner, clothes dryer, water heater, electric range and oven.
- Shift the use of appliances away from higher-cost on-peak demand hours, to lower-cost off-peak hours. This is more important for saving than reducing the total amount of electricity used during on-peak hours.
- Use a programmable or smart thermostat to reduce heating or air-conditioning usage during on-peak hours especially when no one is home.
- Use a timer on your water heater, dishwasher and pool pump.
- Monitor your energy use, peak demand and estimated cost per day, by logging into srpnet.com/myaccount. With My Account, you have 24/7 online access to your account. After you log in, click on "View usage" at the top of the page. You can also create a My Account log in from this page.