Smart thermostat users, earn up to $150
Bring your own thermostat (BYOT) and get paid.
The BYOT program helps SRP reduce peak demand and aids in maintaining grid reliability through conservation events. During a conservation event, your smart thermostat(s) will automatically turn the temperature up a few degrees when the strain on our electric grid is at its highest. This typically occurs on hot summer afternoons but may be due to other circumstances as well.
For participating, you'll receive a $75 SRP bill credit per thermostat (up to $150 if you have more than one eligible thermostat). After each subsequent year, you'll earn an additional $25 bill credit (per eligible thermostat) for continuing in the program, which will be paid at the end of the summer cooling season.
How to join
For Nest thermostats:
- Sign in to your Nest.com account.
- Make sure your Nest thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Complete the signup form . If eligible, your bill credit will be added to your SRP account within two billing cycles.
For other thermostats:
If you have purchased and installed another smart thermostat brand, enrollment will reopen in July 2019. See if your thermostat is eligible , and stay tuned to this page for enrollment.
What you can expect
- Prior to a conservation event, you will be notified of the event's timing and duration. Enable push notifications, if available, in your thermostat's app settings, so you don't miss out on communications.
- A symbol or message may appear on your thermostat during an event.
- Depending on conditions, SRP may precool your home prior to a conservation event to help balance comfort and energy. Additional energy consumed during precooling will be offset by energy not consumed during the conservation event.
- You're in control and can opt out of a conservation event and change the temperature anytime.
- Thermostat settings during an event may seem extreme and may adjust frequently. These settings are designed to maximize the precooling or conservation impacts but rarely indicate the actual temperature your home will reach.
- There could be a maximum of 15 conservation events each summer. Conservation events typically occur between noon and 9 p.m. on weekdays only (holidays excluded).
- You must be an SRP residential customer.
- Your cooling system and connected thermostat must be at the location of your SRP residential account.
- Your Wi-Fi connection and thermostat(s) have to be connected to your thermostat's account.
- You must have an account with your thermostat's manufacturer to enroll in SRP's program. If you do not have one, you will need to establish one prior to enrollment.
- You will need to provide your SRP account number to complete the application.
- For additional program information, call (602) 236-2951.
Note: SRP M-Power customers must make a minimum energy purchase of $1 for credit to apply.
For questions, email us or call (602) 236-2951.
Looking to make a smart thermostat purchase?
A smart thermostat can help you use less energy and live comfortably in your home while staying in control of your energy usage. Visit the SRP Marketplace for special discounts on smart thermostats and other devices to help you save.
Benefits of upgrading to a smart thermostat:
- Control temperatures and schedules on the go with a mobile app.
- Some offer self-learning capabilities that monitor and adjust comfort settings based on your feedback.
- Some devices detect when you have left home, automatically switching into "away" mode to save energy.