Shareholder Compensation Program
Salt River Valley Water Users' Association (the Association) shareholders may be entitled to compensation for a portion of the amount paid to Arizona Public Service Company (APS) for electricity each year.
On this page:
On related pages:
Find out if you are eligible
Complete the questionnaire below to begin the online application for the 2021 Shareholder Compensation Program. Learn more about the program below.
All 2021 Shareholder Compensation Program applications:
- Must be received by SRP on or before 5 p.m. Sept. 5, 2022. No late applications will be accepted.
- Can be submitted electronically or via mail.
- Must be completed and signed by the property owner or trustee.
For the property, are you a:
Property renters are not eligible under this program.
Is the property held in a trust?
The trustor or a trustee must sign the application and submit additional documentation.
I already provided trust documents with a previous application.
To continue, please select an option below.
Submit application by mail
- Download the application
- Print or type information.
- Mail to:
SRP, Shareholder Compensation
P.O. Box 29077
Phoenix, AZ 85038-9077
- Mailed applications must be postmarked by Sept. 5, 2022 (metered postmarks received after Sept. 5, 2022, are unacceptable). No late applications will be accepted.
For further support or if you have questions, call customer service at (602) 236-8888(602) 236-8888.
About the compensation program
The compensation obligation was established in a 1928 Association shareholder election. The election approved a lien on shareholder lands to secure a bond issue whose proceeds were used to construct a dam that included power generation facilities. The compensation obligation was included to ensure that all shareholders, including those served electricity for residential use by a public service corporation, benefited from the dam.
Program applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply for compensation.
- Both owned eligible land and occupied a residence on the eligible land for some period of time during the compensation year; and
- Received and paid for electric service from APS at the eligible residence under a qualifying non-experimental APS residential rate schedule; and
- Filed an Application for Compensation by the annual deadline date; and
- Paid APS at least 15% more than would have been paid to SRP for the same amount of residential electricity used at the eligible residence during the compensation year.
Annual application process
- The Salt River Project Agricultural Improvement and Power District (the District) conducts annual compensation programs if rate differentials make them appropriate. Each year, normally in the spring, SRP mails letters to every APS customer in the SRP area who annually pays at least 15% more to APS than they would have paid to SRP for the same amount of electricity. Each compensation program has a 90-day application period.
- The compensation program is not automatic. Applications are verified to determine:
- If an APS customer is a shareholder (owns land in the SRP area) and
- If the shareholder was a resident at the address.
- Shareholders are also eligible if their immediate relatives occupy the property. We do not know that a shareholder is eligible for calculation of their billing differential until we have processed their application.
- Occupancy by particular shareholders (including religious institutions and trusts) is determined according to the Rules and Regulations for the Shareholder Compensation Program.