Selecting a solar contractor
Need help finding a contractor for your solar project? You've come to the right place. Whether you're looking to install a solar electric system for your home or business, or even a solar water heater, follow this hiring advice.
Tips for choosing the right solar contractor
- Request at least three detailed estimates from licensed contractors. Prices and project components (such as maintenance warranties) can vary significantly. Be sure to request that the system design addresses your specific goals.
- Only hire a licensed contractor that is eligible to interconnect to SRP's grid. You can verify the license status of contractors and any subcontractors quickly by calling 1-877-MYAZROC (1-877-692-9762). Not only should you check their status before you sign a contract, but you should continue to check it periodically throughout the project as the status of your contractor's license can change.
- Make sure your contractor is bonded and insured. You need to understand the limits on your contractor's bonding and insurance to make sure you are sufficiently protected.
- Request at least three references from prospective contractors for projects similar to yours. If possible, you should also try to visit some of their recently completed projects. Ask relevant, longtime service providers such as your electrical contractor for referrals.
- Require your contractor to put all project expectations in writing. This will enable you to better protect your investment. If the expectations change during the completion of the project, these changes should also be captured in writing.
- Read all documentation carefully before you sign. It is important that you understand everything that you are agreeing to so that there are no questions later.
- Additional resources and links:
Preferred solar installers
For residential rooftop solar installations, SRP has partnered with a group of preferred residential solar installers. These contractors are licensed, bonded, insured and trained on how solar works in conjunction with our solar price plans.
SRP has learned of scammers pretending to be affiliated with our preferred solar installers program. If a company comes to your door or calls you claiming to be partnered with SRP, please call us at (602) 236-4448. We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.