Beware of utility scams targeting SRP customers
When in doubt, give us a shout: (602) 236-8888 (residential customers), or (602) 236-8833 (business customers) 24-hours a day, 7-days a week.
How to spot a scam
The scammer will:
- Pretend to be from SRP. They may even call from a number that looks like SRP's phone number.
- Threaten power disconnection. The scammer will threaten to turn off your power unless payment is made, generally in an hour.
- Demand payment. The scammer will ask for payment with a prepaid card like MoneyPak, Green Dot or Vanilla. They may even request payment in Bitcoin or through Zelle.
Remember the following
- SRP will never ask you to make an immediate payment with a prepaid card or Bitcoin.
- SRP now accepts payments through Amazon Pay, Paypal and Venmo which are authorized and processed through Paymentus. To be safe, only make these types of payments directly to SRP online, through My Account or the SRP Power and M-Power mobile apps.
- Before your power is disconnected, SRP will send you one or more notices in the mail.
- When in doubt, HANG UP and call us directly at (602) 236-8888. We are available 24/7.
- You can check the status of your account anytime in My Account or through the SRP Power app.
- These types of scams can also occur in person, through email or by text.
If you feel you've been the target of a scam, contact your local law enforcement or the Arizona Attorney General's Office.
Is it a scam?
No. To pay your bill, you must submit your payments directly to SRP. Please let us know if someone contacts you about this by calling (602) 236-8888 (residential) or (602) 236-8833 (business).
SRP will not call and demand payment for normal meter replacement. Do not pay. Hang up and call SRP at (602) 236-8888 (residential) or (602) 236-8833 (business) to determine if there is an issue with your meter.
Do not let them in or pay. If your payment is past due, we do not collect payments in-person. Our field employees cannot accept payment. If the person is claiming they need to perform repairs or upgrades, call us to confirm they are an employee. All employees wear SRP logo shirts, have an I.D. badge and will be driving a vehicle with a SRP logo.
We send out a reminder bill if the account becomes eligible for disconnection. In the event that SRP calls you about a past due bill, we will not demand payment over the phone; instead we will encourage you to pay through an approved channel such as My Account or the SRP Power mobile app. If you do choose to pay over the phone, we will recommend that you verify SRP's identity by hanging up and calling us back at our official phone number: (602) 236-8888.
SRP does have partnerships with some preferred residential solar installers, but we have learned of scammers pretending to be affiliated with this program. If you are interested in finding out more about solar for your home, please call SRP at (602) 236-4448. We can also connect you to contractors who can help determine the best solar option for your home if you’re ready to explore rooftop solar.
Unless you scheduled an appointment with SRP, no SRP employee will ask to enter a customer's home. SRP does not sell products or services door to door.