Frequently asked questions about M-Power

Choose any link to get answers to your questions about M-Power.

What will I pay on this plan?

Below are the current energy prices per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for M-Power compared to the Basic Plan. The price you pay rises and falls seasonally with the demand for electricity. Some customers also save money due to the lack of late payment or reconnect fees on the M-Power Plan.

May-June and September-October




For more information, view the M-Power Price Plan Sheet Document is a PDF.

The price you pay rises and falls seasonally with the demand for electricity.

How will I know if I'm saving money?

The User Display Terminal displays the 'Cost Yesterday' and 'Cost Last Month,' helping you monitor your energy use in dollars and cents. You may also use the 'Present electric demand' to see the amount of energy you are currently using.

What if I'm not saving money on this plan?

  1. Be sure you are reducing energy use. Check out energy-saving tips.
  2. See if another price plan would better fit your household and lifestyle.

If you want to switch to a different plan, call (602) 236-8888.

Why are energy prices higher in the summer?

The kilowatt-hour (kWh) or unit cost of energy is different in winter and summer regardless of your price plan. The price you pay rises and falls with the demand for electricity.

During the coolest months, customer usage, generation costs and the price you pay are lowest. During the hottest months, customer usage skyrockets and generation costs to meet peak demand are highest.

Billing months

Chart of different yearly pricing periods

Is there a service fee to turn on an M-Power for current SRP customers?

Those customers switching rate plans, but not establishing service at a new address, are not subject to the turn-on fee.

What is the cost for the M-Power in-home display unit and smart card?

  • There is an $87.50 refundable equipment deposit.
  • There is a non-refundable $11.50 plus tax UDT refurbishment fee.
  • In the event the UDT is damaged, lost, or not returned when the account is closed, the charge is $133 plus tax.
  • There is no cost for the smart cards.
  • Current charges are listed on the SRP credit policy.

Can an M-Power customer purchase power over the phone with a check, credit or debit card?

Yes. After the payment has been made, the customer will want to contact SRP to verify it has been received*. Once SRP has verified the payment, the customer can go to a PayCenter and insert $1 to load the eChex or credit or debit card payment onto the smart card.

*Please note that there is a fee charged by a third party for credit or debit card payments and the payments may take up to three business days before posting to the customer's electric account.

What happens if I run out of credit?

If you run out of credit, your meter will disconnect and you will need to make a purchase to restore power. If you run out of credit between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., your meter will enter the Friendly Credit mode and run into negative credit. You must buy power prior to 6 a.m. the next day. The negative credit amount will be deducted from your purchase.

What is a pay-down balance?

We extend $30 credit to get you started. This amount, along with the equipment deposit, if applicable, and any applicable fees and/or transferred balances are paid down each time you make a purchase.

*Maximum back balance is $1,000 that can be carried over from a credit account.

Can an M-Power customer also have an Economy Price Plan (EPP) or medical discount?

A customer meeting income guidelines may qualify for the EPP. Customers on the medical discount\rider are not eligible for the M-Power program.

If I have credit left at turn off, can I get a refund?

SRP will remove the credit off your meter at the time of your turn off. Any credit or accumulated debt will be adjusted on your final bill.

How can I return my M-Power User Display Terminal (UDT)?

The UDT can be returned by placing the UDT back in the box it was delivered in. There is a postage paid label on the bottom of the box. Just seal up the box and drop it in your mail box. If you do not have the box we will mail you a postage paid return envelope to the address of your choice. Call our customer service at (602) 236-8855 to request an envelope. Once we have received the undamaged UDT, we will credit your account for any charges associated with the returned UDT.

Back to top

Contact us