SRP School of Energy
The School of Energy is an interactive partnership between SRP and elementary schools that engages students, educators and communities in energy education and conservation through hands on learning. By increasing energy literacy, awareness and conservation of natural resources, we are working together toward a more sustainable future and brighter tomorrow!
Apply for the 2020-2021 school year
We are fully subscribed for the 2019-2020 school year. If you're interested in becoming an Energy Coach for the 2020-2021 school year, please complete the interest form below. If selected, you and your school's principal will be notified.
How the School of Energy works
Interested in participating in School of Energy? See steps and eligibility requirements below. If you have questions or would like information, please email SchoolofEnergy@srpnet.com.
- Schools are selected based on district recommendation, principal approval and teacher interest, expressed through the completion of our online application. Applications for the 2019-2020 school year are now open.
- Participation is limited to 60 elementary schools each year.
- The commitment to this program is one full school year (August 2019 – May 2020).
- K-8 teachers at elementary schools in SRP's service area are eligible to apply as the Energy Coaches for their school.
- Energy Coaches are teachers at each participating school who lead their school’s efforts to increase energy literacy and create a more sustainable school culture. Each participating school is required to have two trained Energy Coaches.
- Participating teachers are required to attend one Saturday training held in August.
- Teachers are eligible to earn stipends for their participation. They will also receive professional development hours for training and resources aligned to Arizona State Standards.
Desired qualifications of an Energy Coach:
- Willing and able to lead their school in conservation efforts.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest or passion for sustainability.
- Collaborate well with other educators and administration and have a desire to involve students in leadership opportunities.
Teachers of grades 3–6 are encouraged to apply, as classroom lessons and resources align most closely to these grade level standards.
- The SRP School of Energy team works closely with Energy Coaches, school administration and district staff to understand and identify ways to help their school conserve and use energy more efficiently.
- SRP provides Energy Coaches with lesson plans, contests and activities designed to increase school-wide engagement while aligning with Arizona State's education standards.
- It is highly encouraged to foster student involvement through the formation of a student green team or other student leadership role.
Existing Energy Coaches
Current Energy Coaches can find resources, schedule meetings and share ideas in the Energy Coach Portal .